Apple Butter Spiced Thumbprint Cookies

10:22 AM

Cookies might be Brendan's favorite snack food. 

Actually, I can't say ALL cookies because he does not like chocolate chip cookies...which I learned the hard way early on in our relationship.  I made him the famous, award winning, globally known and loved List Chocolate Chip Cookies to impress him one day, and to my surprise he didn't gobble them up - but confessed to me that he didn't like chocolate chip cookies. Ummmm WHAT? Shocking I KNOW!!  I bet some of you are wondering what is wrong with him...HOW can he not love those cookies?  To be honest, it sometimes keeps me up at night....

However, because of his picky cookie taste, I've had to come up with other options to wow him. Since it is Fall and Thanksgiving is right around the corner, let me introduce you to the thumbprint cookie.  This cookie can be turned into any flavor combo by swapping out the spices in the dough and the filling in the middle.  

Last year I had some homemade List Family Orchard apple butter, and made this fall flavor combination. The cookie is spicy and the filling adds just the right amount of sweetness.   If you don't have homemade apple butter, I would recommend using the Musselman's brand. 

Give them a try and tell me what you think! 





Apple Butter Spiced Thumbprint Cookies

Level of Difficulty: Easy
Serves: About 20 cookies

Ingredients

2 cups blanched almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
½ cup granulated sugar or raw sugar 
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp baking soda
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter
1 egg
1 Tablespoon cinnamon 
1/4 tsp clove
1 teaspoon vanilla
⅓ cup apple butter (Musselman's)

Directions

1. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

2. In another medium mixing bowl, mix together the butter, egg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. 

3. Add the dry mixture to the wet and stir until combined. The dough will be slightly crumbly. 

4. Let it sit for 10 minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb the liquid.

5. While the dough is setting, preheat the oven to 350 F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

6. Spoon Tablespoon sized balls of dough onto the baking sheet. I use a cookie scoop to form mine.

7. Bake the cookies for 6 minutes and remove from the oven. Then, using the rounded part of a ½ teaspoon measuring spoon, make an indentation about ¾ of the way down into each cookie.

8. Fill each indentation with about a ½ teaspoon of filling. 

9. Continue to bake for 9 minutes until the cookies have a firm outer texture. 

10. Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack for cooling. 

11. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days. (I usually bring mine back to room 

Enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Subscribe